Monday, June 2, 2008

St. Photios on the Filioque

I'm reading The Mystagogy, the well-known work of St. Photios of Constantinople (9th century) on the error of the filioque. It is quite excellent. The first half of the book, for about 7o pages, is background and introduction from the editor, which provides very helpful information. Although aware of the Neo-Platonism in St. Augustine's thought, even Trinitarian thought, I never connected that with St. Augustine's proposition of the filioque.

One thing that especially surprised me were some words that St. Photios writes quite early in his Mystagogy and which I myself had come to the logical conclusion several days ago: namely, that one could just as easily (indeed it would be necessary) to argue that the Son is begotten of the Father and the Holy Spirit. I don't say this in zest, but I am glad because it at least shows I'm thinking along the same lines as St. Photios and the other Church Fathers, at least in this one regard.

There have been some ecumenical dialogues with the Latin Catholics on the filioque. Some have reduced it to a difference in words with the Greek East's understanding. Personally, I find the filioque quite difficult to uphold, especially if one feels it necessary to regard the Council of Florence authoritative.

No comments: